Garmin Edge 820 GPS Computer Review
Garmin Edge 820 GPS Computer
Bike GPS computers are a great addition to your bike: They can tell you everything about your ride, from where you have been, how far and how quickly you’ve travelled, climbs, calories burned, and can display maps or navigation instructions. The Garmin Edge 820 is a new addition to the range and is priced towards the upper end of the market. It comes packed with tech features which every cyclist could benefit from.
The unit itself has a 2.3 inch high-resolution display which can pick up your touch when wearing gloves and when wet. Very useful for riding in the cold and rain! An ambient light sensor alters the screen brightness depending on conditions. The battery can last up to 15 hours and has a low-power mode to lengthen this up to 24 hours to keep you company on long or overnight rides.
The device connects via Bluetooth to your smartphone and can display texts or caller ID without taking your phone out of your pocket. Wi-Fi connectivity allows you to transfer ride data to other devices for analysis or sharing. As with most new-release GPS computers, you can connect to your heart rate monitor or measure your power output using ANT+ connectivity. Unfortunately there is no SD card slot to boost the 16 Gb internal memory.
The 820 Edge can give estimates of how many calories you’ve burned and your VO2 max. It also measures the standard variables such speed, distance, time and elevation. Power output and heart rate can be displayed and logged if connected to the relevant ANT+ devices. A real benefit of this device is that it can suggest and coach you through workouts to improve fitness or aerobic capacity.
This is where the Garmin devices begin to exert their superiority in this sector. Using GPS and GLONASS satellites to pinpoint position, routes can be tracked in the city or rural woodland. There are several useful navigation options and pre-installed maps. The Garmin Cycle Map feature allows you to input your destination and will calculate your route, annotated with bike-friendly information. If you don’t have a place to get to, then you can select a target distance to ride and a cycle-friendly route will be calculated automatically.
Sharing with others
Another benefit of the Garmin Edge 820 is that users can connect to friends’ devices and monitor their position using GroupTrack. This is useful when racing or if, for example, when separated from your group or riding ahead. Simple functionality also allows sharing of ride data with others to compare split times, routes or training performance information. Garmin have also developed an incident detection function using an accelerometer: If you have an accident, your position can be shared with a list of pre-set emergency contacts.
The Garmin Edge 820 has a raft of features which can enhance your cycling experience in numerous ways. For the performance-minded, training features and monitoring are well catered for; while connectivity, navigation and safety features make this an excellent choice for any cyclist.
Garmin Edge 520 GPS Bike Computer - Black
5 used from £ 193.59
- Tracks time, distance, speed, ascent/descent and calories burned with high performance
- Offers in-ride challenges through live strava segments
- Compatible with ANT+ sensors, including speed, cadence, heart rate, power meter and Di2
- Sync with Bluetooth for live tracking, automatic uploads, smart notifications, send/receive courses, social media sharing and weather updates
- Reports cycling-specific VO2 max and recovery time when used with power meter and heart rate
Garmin Edge 810 GPS Bike Computer with Heart Rate Monitor and Speed/Cadence Sensor - Black
- Sleek lightweight GPS-enabled bike computer with 2.6 inch colour touchscreen and simple user interface
- Tracks details of your ride including speed, distance, time, location, elevation, heart rate, cadence and personal records
- Connected features include live tracking, instant uploads, social network sharing and weather updates
- Instantly upload ride data via the Garmin Connect mobile app on your phone
- Activity profiles allows data fields and settings to be configured to the type of riding you do
Garmin Edge Explore 1000 Enhanced GPS Bike Computer for Touring and Adventure
1 used from £ 322.24
- Incident detection offers automatic or manual alerts to emergency contacts
- Preloaded European cycle map and round-trip routing for on-road or off-road navigation
- Tracks time, distance, speed, ascent/descent and calories burned
- Sync with Wi-Fi or Bluetooth for live tracking, incoming call and text alerts, weather and more
- Compatible with Garmin varia rear view radar and bike lights